Kentucky Derby (05/02/13)
The Kentucky Derby, The Fastest Two Minutes in Sports, is this Saturday. The 139th Derby includes some famous owners including Louisville Cardinals Head Coach Rick Pitino. Below are the current odds for each horse as well as some Derby facts.
The Kentucky Derby, also known as “The Run for the Roses” is held annually in Louisville, Kentucky on the first Saturday in May. The Derby has been ran every year since 1875 and is the first leg of the Triple Crown.
Mint julep – an iced drink consisting of bourbon, mint and sugar syrup
Fancy hats – women appear in fine outfits accessorized with extravagant hats
Most wins by a jockey
- 5 - Eddie Arcaro (1938, 1941, 1945, 1948, 1952)
- 5 - Bill Hartack (1957, 1960, 1962, 1964, 1969)
- 1:15.4 – Secretariat (1973)
Longest length to win a race
- 8 lengths – Assault (1946) and Whirlaway (1941)
Longest shot to win Derby
- 91 to 1 – Donerail (1913)
Orb, 17/4 odds
- Trainer: “Shug” McGaughey III, Hall of Fame 2004, Eclipse Award for Top Trainer
- Jockey: Joel Rosario, Keeneland spring-meeting record of 38 winning rides in 2013
- Owner: Stuart Janney III & Phipps Stable, families with long horse racing traditions
Verrazano, 9/2 odds
- Trainer: Todd Pletcher, won 2010 Kentucky Derby with Super Saver
- Jockey: John Velazquez, won 2011 Derby on Animal Kingdom, Hall of Fame in 2011
- Owner: Let's Go Stable, co-owned by brother-in-laws
Goldencents, 7/1 odds
- Trainer: Doug O'Neill, famous for saddling I'll Have Another, winner of 2012 Derby
- Jockey: Kevin Krigger, racing in the US since 2001
- Owner: Rick Pitino owns 5% of Goldencents
- Over 202.00, -130
- Under 202.00, -110
Will Secretariat's Record time of 159.40 be broken?
- Yes, +1000
- No, -2000
Where will winning horse start?
- Gate 1-10, +130
- Gate 11-20, -170
Winning horse's name will start with letter?
- A-M, +170
- N-Z, -250
How Many Words Will Be in The Name of the Derby Winner?
- 1, -300
- 2, +250
- 3, +1500
Will Rick Pitino be mentioned by the announcer from start of race until all horses cross the Finish Line?
- Yes, +400
- No, -600
|Positions||Horse||Derby Odds||Triple Crown|
|17||Will Take Charge||25/1||75/1|
|11||Lines of Battle||33/1||125/1|